Shoulder pain is one of the most commonly reported conditions. The shoulder is made up of several joints combined with muscles and tendons that make it possible for your arm to have an extensive range of motion. Due to the complex structure of the shoulder, it is vulnerable to many different types of pain and problems.
- Tendinitis: Irritation or damage to the rotator cuff.
- Bursitis: Inflammation and swelling of the bursa, which is a lubricating sac between the rotator cuff and the top shoulder
- Impingement: Irritation and pain caused by friction between the top shoulder bone and the tendon and bursa.
Common Causes of Shoulder Tendon Pain
Shoulder tendon pain is a common condition among athletes who use their arms overhead, such as professional baseball players, swimmers, tennis players and golfers. The usage of improper technique in any sport can also cause the overuse of tendons, which can result in shoulder tendon pain.
Apart from athletes, people who work in jobs that require repetitive lifting and overhead work are also at risk of developing shoulder tendon pain.
In less common cases, shoulder pain may also arise from a minor injury or occur without apparent cause.
Symptoms of Shoulder Tendon Pain
Shoulder tendon pain can cause swelling and tenderness on the front of the shoulder. You may also experience pain and stiffness when you lift or lower your arm.
You may experience mild symptoms in the early stages, such as the following:
- Sudden pain when lifting or lowering your arm
- Minor pain when doing activities and at rest
- Radiating pain from the front of the shoulder to the side of the arm
As the condition progresses, you may experience more severe symptoms:
- Loss of strength
- Inability to move affected arm
- Difficulty doing activities that require the arm to be placed behind the back, such as buttoning or zipping
- Pain at night
Get Shoulder Tendon Pain Treatment in Singapore Now
If you find that your shoulder pain is persistent and does not seem to be going away, it’s time to see a doctor. You should also see a doctor right away if the pain is interfering with your usual daily activities. Speak to us now to discuss shoulder pain treatment options at Orthofoot MD.