Sprained Ankle Treatment In Singapore

A sprained ankle, also known as a twisted ankle or a rolled ankle, is an injury to the ligaments in your ankle. You might find that putting weight on your ankle causes pain. Your ankle might also be swollen, bruised or tender to the touch. Conversely, it may also feel numb on occasion. A sprained ankle and a  fractured ankle are often confused, but there is a clear difference between both foot injuries. 

What is a Sprained Ankle?

Sprains are categorised into three degrees. A Grade I sprain is considered the least severe with small tears occurring in the stretched ankle ligament. Grade II sprains are moderate, involving partial ligament tears while a Grade III sprain is the most severe with the complete tear of the ligament.

Sprained Ankle Treatment

Sprained ankle treatments depend on the severity of the condition. Home remedies and over-the-counter medication might be able to bring the pain down, but a thorough medical evaluation by a foot and ankle fracture specialist is still the only way to determine the severity of your sprain. You will likely need physical therapy for a moderate to severe sprain, with surgery being a last resort when other treatments have proved futile.

What is a Broken Ankle?

While sprains affect the ligaments in your ankle, a fractured ankle involves a broken ankle bone. If your ankle hurts or is tender to the touch over the ankle bone, you are most likely suffering from a broken ankle. This may be accompanied by numbness or tingling.

Broken Ankle Treatment

If you suspect your ankle might be broken, it is necessary to seek immediate medical treatment from an ankle fracture specialist to stabilise your ankle and prevent the worsening of the condition. There are many different ways to treat a broken ankle, depending on how severe the condition is. Treatment can include using a cast or brace to stabilise the ankle, taking medication for pain relief, and physical therapy to help with healing and restoring strength and range of motion. In some cases, surgery may also be necessary. While some sprains might clear up in a few days, a fractured ankle will take several months to heal.

Visit an Ankle and Foot Fracture Specialist Today

Orthofoot MD will be able to help you diagnose the condition causing your ankle pain and provide you with a treatment plan for how to manage your sprained ankle. If you are experiencing severe pain or disability, book an appointment with ankle and foot fracture specialist Dr Gowreeson immediately.

Frequently Asked Questions About Ankle Sprain and Foot Fracture Treatments

1. How long do ankle sprains take to recover? 

Mild to low-grade ankle sprains usually heal in a few days to a few weeks with proper rest and care (such as applying ice and limiting weight-bearing activity). Moderate sprains may take up to a few months to heal while more severe sprains may take up to half a year to recover. Severe sprains will likely require immobilisation and the wearing of a brace or a protective boot. If you’ve sprained your ankle in conjunction with another injury, such as a torn tendon or ligament, more time will need to be factored in for healing. 

2. How long do ankle fractures take to recover? 

It will take up to 4-8 weeks for the bones in your ankle to heal completely in an average fracture. Ankles with multiple fractures or other injuries including sprains and tendon ruptures will likely take longer to heal. If your fracture only requires a cast, this means that your ankle has a good chance of recovering stability during the recovery process. However, more complex fractures may require the help of surgery to be fixed back into place with screws and/or pins. Physiotherapy sessions may be necessary after the removal of your cast.

3. What happens if I leave my ankle fracture untreated? 

Leaving your ankle injury to its own devices can be dangerous to the stability of your ankle, and your ability to walk. This is even more so if your bones have moved further out of place. Not only will the pain become increasingly severe, but leaving an ankle fracture untreated can result in a nonunion–meaning the bone doesn’t mend at all, or a delayed union. You will also be at risk of developing infections and foot deformities. We advise seeking help from an ankle fracture specialist immediately if you suspect you may have a fractured ankle.

Dr Gowreeson Thevendran is currently an orthopaedic surgeon with Island Orthopaedic, a one-stop care centre for orthopaedic health under Healthway Medical Group. He specialises in treating lower limb orthopaedic conditions, as well as trauma and fracture surgery of both the upper and lower limbs. Prior to establishing his private practice, Dr Gowreeson was Chief of Foot & Ankle Surgery at the Department of Orthopaedics at Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH). Today, he continues to serve the Orthopaedic Department at TTSH as a visiting consultant.

About Dr. Gowreeson Thevendran